Issuance of an Identity Card of the Republic of Slovenia
An identity card is a public document that a citizen of the Republic of Slovenia uses to prove his or her identity and nationality and to travel to certain countries. It should be added that travel to Japan and to the Philippines is not possible with an identity card alone.
Every citizen of the Republic of Slovenia is entitled to an identity card. Slovenian citizens, residing permanently or temporarily abroad, may also apply for a new identity card at the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in Tokyo.
The application must be submitted in person. In the case of a person who is under 18 years of age or who lacks legal capacity, the application must be submitted by his/her legal representative. A child over the age of 8, who can already sign papers, must be present when the application is submitted.
Fees for issuance of an identity card and its validity
- An identity card valid for 10 years is issued to a citizen aged between 18 and 70, costing €76.
- An identity card valid for 5 years is issued to a citizen aged 3 to 18 years and costs €60.
- An identity card valid for 3 years is issued to a citizen under 3 years of age, costs EUR 44.
- An identity card with a validity of 1 year (issued on the basis of a negligent behaviour of the citizen) costs €37.
- Permanent identity card for persons aged 70 years and over, costs €76.
Replacement of an identity card
The identity cars can be replaced at any time, including before it expires.
You are obliged to present your valid identity card to the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in Tokyo or to your administrative unit for destruction within 30 days in the following cases:
- change of name or surname,
- change of permanent residence,
- the photograph does not show your true identity,
- your citizenship of the Republic of Slovenia has expired,
- the card is damaged or has defects that make it unusable.
Documents required for the issuance of an identity card
The following documents are required for the issue of an identity card:
- Filled in application (please apply for it at the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in Tokyo).
- Recent photograph (size: 3,5 cm x 4,5 cm).
- An old identity card (if you do not have one, a valid public document with a photograph or another document proving identity, e.g. passport, birth certificate).
The identity card applied for at our embassy will be delivered personally to the applicant at the embassy.
Missing, lost or stolen identity card
If your identity card is missing, lost or stolen, you must immediately report to the local police at the place of the incident and obtain a police report.
The citizen is then obliged to report the disappearance to the Administrative Unit in the Republic of Slovenia or to the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in Tokyo within 8 days (30 days in the case of residence in Japan and the Republic of the Philippines). You can also report a missing, lost or stolen identity card online at the e-Government website: https://e-uprava.gov.si/podrocja/vloge/vloga.html?id=1338.
The report of a missing identity card at the Embassy of the Republic of Slovenia in Tokyo is free of charge.
More information about the identity card: https://e-uprava.gov.si/en/podrocja/personal-documents-certificates-change-of-residence/personal-documents-digital-certificate/identity-card.html